Tuesday 19 April 2011

Have you tried...Goose Island Pepe Nero?

Goose Island describe this beer as a 'Belgian style farmhouse ale brewed with peppercorns'. From the vintage series, at 6% it isn't as strong as other Belgian styled beers, but that didn't matter. On pouring it gave less of a head than expected. A very dark mahogony in colour, it gave typical Belgian aromas with a slight chestnut twist. Before tasting this beer I was little apprehensive as I was worried that they may of overdone it with the peppercorns. This was not the case. Quite rich with an initial roasted sweetness, it's not till the after taste that the peppercorns become apparent. The peppercorns give a subtle sharpness that I think works with this beer. With it not being too expensive (around £3 a bottle) and with me being on a student budget, I would definitely buy it again! If anyone else has tried it comment and tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment